And now for something completely different...

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My blog has taken quite a political slant, which I don't mind because I love politics. But, I'm also a sports junkie and I feel the need to vent a bit today about college football. I start with a question -

Am I the only person who is pretty much completely bored by the bowl games this year?

I don't think I am alone on this. These have been some of the most boring and uninteresting bowl games I can remember. Utah peaked my interest a bit by knocking off Alabama (even though I thought the Tide was a bit overrated this year). The last quarter of last night's UT/OSU match-up was great. Other than that, the bowl games this year have been a pretty uninteresting.

Beyond the terrible match-ups you have the extended wait between games. The championship game doesn't even take place until tomorrow. That's ridiculous. I truly long for the days when all the games were wrapped up around new year's. This attempt to stretch out the bowl games has only lessened my interest.

The answer to all this is of course a playoff. The whole thought of voters deciding a championship instead of having it decided on the field is ridiculous. Also, all the talk of the "best regular season in sports" is also ridiculous as so many 6-6 and 7-5 teams end up with the "reward" of going to a bowl game. There is really nothing special about that at all.

With a playoff system, you could still keep all those lower bowl games. The big plus would be that they would now actually matter. Each team would have a shot at the national championship. You could still give them a trophy or whatever for each individual bowl game they won. Then, at the end of the year, the two truly best teams would square off and you wouldn't have to worry about USC, Texas, Utah, etc feeling like they got the shaft.

It just makes a lot of sense....so of course it hasn't happened yet.




submit to reddit