Mayor Bloomberg Obviously Has Everything in NYC Under Control

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What else can explain his grandstanding on the Plaxico Burress issue? Mayor Bloomberg has stepped up and wants the District Attorney's office to throw the book at the Giants wide receiver.

Before getting to the mayor, let's get a couple of things out of the way.

I don't think Burress was dumb for having a weapon. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, athletes are a target. And no, I don't think they should just lock themselves in a room somewhere and never go out. I don't own a gun, but the thought has crossed my mind. I hope I never feel like I need to go out and get one, but won't condemn those that do.

I do think he was dumb for not getting it properly registered. There is simply no way that his team of handlers could not have gotten this accomplished for him.

The cover up at the hospital was a bad move, but I'm not too angry with him for that either. Given everything he stands to lose, I can't blame the guy for trying to keep things on the hush.

I do think it was dumb that he shot himself (if that's what happened).

What Burress did was a series of stupid moves. Should he be punished. Yes. Probation and community service sounds just right.

3 or so YEARS in jail? Ummm. No.

And that's why I don't like Bloomberg's stance on this. Right off the top, there are just too many issues going on right now for the mayor of NYC to be flexing his muscles over something like this.

However, the bigger issue is that the only reason this is being pushed is because it's Burress. If I am wrong and someone can whip out stats proving that EVERY person who has violated this law was given at least the minimum sentence and no plea deals, then I will quickly write a retraction. But I'm pretty sure that is not the case.

And among those people who have gotten off with plea deals, you can bet that a number were dealers, rapists, murderers, robbers, etc...

You know, real criminals who hurt people (well, hurt people other than themselves).

If you aren't going to force this law down the throats of the real criminals who actually do hurt and steal from people then don't jump on your soapbox to take down a guy just because he is high profile. There are some very appropriate punishments for Plaxico. Even if you want to throw him in jail, 3 years is excessive. At the end of the day, the guy only hurt himself literally and in his own wallet.

Leave this issue to the lawyers and courts and stick to making things right in the city. Don't throw the book at the famous guy and let the actually crooks plea out of these offenses.




submit to reddit