Prop 8 Debate Continues...But Where's the Education Component?

Saturday, November 15, 2008

As I expressed in another post the failing of Prop 8 and the role of minorities in it did disappoint me. I'm probably in the Keith Olbermann frame of mind on this one. I'm not gay, but I don't think anyone should be denied their rights. I also firmly believe in separation of church and state. If some crazy religion ever came to power (although I am sure the average non-Christian would argue this has already occurred), I would not want policy being dictated by their beliefs.

That is no doubt what is happening now. The religious beliefs of some are influencing the rights of others. It's wrong and it needs to stop immediately. The rights of all people should be respected.

However, all the protests and the laying of blame at the doorsteps of minority groups and Mormons have got me thinking.

Is this really the right approach to getting this issue resolved?

Maybe its time to serve this issue up with a bit of honey rather than vinegar?

That may sound naive, but I'm not sure it doesn't have some merit. At the end of the day, there is a segment of the population who will just never ever vote for this just like there are people who wouldn't vote for Obama because he's black. Those people are a lost cause.

But there are a lot of other people who I think could be swayed to the other side of this issue by explaining what's really going on, why this type of regulation is bad, and just showing them the other side of the debate.

A thorough discussion of how Prop 8 and any similar legislation is just plain wrong regardless of ones religious affiliation is the way to go in my mind. If I were them I would base my whole speech on the concept - If they can do this to us, what will they try to do to you? What right do you want the government to take away by popular vote?

I'm in no way against the mass demonstrations today. I think raising awareness is good and definitely respect everyone's right to protest. But let's get some true education going on here as well.