People Watch as Teen Commits Suicide on Internet

Friday, November 21, 2008

As a sci-fi nut, I have watched tons of movies about futures where people watch other folks get killed for entertainment value. As a kid, I never thought we would get to that point as a society. Until today. I can't believe this story from MSNBC. What's worse is that it details other similar incidents that have happened around the world. So while this is certainly not a widespread thing, it is still troubling.

How could anyone sit there typing "LOL" and "hahaha" while a guy attempts suicide? Some of the people interviewed said they didn't think it was real because the guy had made similar threats before. I'm sorry, but whether I thought it was real or fake, there is no way I could sit there and watch that. Seriously, are people THAT deprived for entertainment?