The Many Sides of the Sarah Palin Fiasco

Saturday, November 8, 2008

I can't lie.   I have had my fair share of laughs on the expense of Ms.  Palin.  Yet, the recent revelations about her, while still amusing, ring about hollow in my ears.   How disingenuous is it for the Republicans to now trash her by leaking out all these details about the campaign?  I think Campbell Brown hit the nail on the head in the video below - YOU PICKED HER!  This is why you have a vetting process you morons.  


The fact that they kept pushing this person as a viable VP after she didn't know that Africa was a continent is worse than her lack of knowledge.   Also, the attacks calling her a hillbilly, etc should (but won't) be ringing in the ears of all the people in "Pro-America" towns.   Now that they couldn't use her to steal the presidency, they have pretty much thrown her to wayside - the exact same thing they do with the needs of the people in "Pro-Americaville" after they get in office.  

These are just pathetic attempts to cast the blame on Palin for McCain's horrible campaign.  Palin should remind them that the only reason why this thing was even as close as it was is because she was on the ticket.  With an astonishing 91% of Republicans having a favorable view of Palin, the loss can not be solely put on her doorstep.   Obama's campaign was certainly one of the best I have ever seen.  McCain's was one of the worst.  His staff members should definitely be looking in the mirror before zeroing in on Palin.

But before anyone thinks I have succumbed to the charms of the winking hockey mom, she is at fault here.  I think of a time when my sister wanted me to babysit my niece.  Her last question to me before she walked out of the door was "Are you sure you can do this?"  It was a signal that she was leaving her only child in my care and if there were any doubts I could keep her, now was the time to speak up.  I said yes, and my niece and I proceeded to have a fun filled night of Disney videos and PB & J.  

Yet, that was just a teenage me in an apartment with my 2 year old niece for a few hours.  

Palin was agreeing to a position that would have made her partially responsible for children and adults of an entire country for four years.  She had to have known she wasn't ready to take on such a responsibility.  A simple "not a this time" would have been a more than appropriate answer.  Instead, she jumped into the role with all the smugness and viciousness that she could muter.  She was all too willing to take shots at Obama, the media, and the Un-American, even though she was woefully unqualified to speak on much of anything.  

Rather than study and research to make up for her lack of knowledge, she pushed forward attacking the media for their hard-hitting questions like "what newspapers do you read?"  She fanned the flames of racism by accusing Obama of palling around with terrorists.  She...well, I could go on for days.  This woman was just not ready to assume the position of VP and she knew it.   In the end, she is even scarier to me than Bush because she's not even as smart as he is (chew on that one for a few minutes).

Beyond that, how scary is her favorable rating?  Another plus in the election ending was that we would no longer have to deal with her.   With her favorable rating being so high, she will no doubt be a player for years to come in the Republican party.  That is good, because i find it hard to believe America would ever vote her in to office.  But it is also bad because it shows just how many Americans agree with this woman and her views (or lack thereof).