Song of the Week...G-Dep - Stay Up

Friday, October 10, 2008

Boy do things change. There was a point in time when getting signed to bad Boy Records was basically like winning a lottery ticket. Diddy had the golden touch and you could not escape Bad Boy even if you tried. Fast forward to now and things have definitely changed. You'd be hard pressed to name more than a couple of people on the label. One of the casualties was G-Dep. But, recently he literally popped up out of nowhere with a new mixtape, song, and video. The track is called Stay Up and I have been feeling it more and more the last few days especially given the times we are in. It also reminds me of what NY hip hop used to add to the game. I'm from the South, but I always appreciated the different aspect of hip hop and rap provided by NY rappers. Unfortunately, NY's influence on hip hop has, pretty amazingly I will add given the history of the music, all but disappeared entirely from the current hip hop scene. I have no idea why, but it seems like no two styles of hip hop can exist at the same time. It's always one region dominating all others.

Anyway, here's my track of the week. Hopefully G-Dep and others can bring NY all the way back. Hip Hop could definitely use it.

0 comments: